Thursday, February 25, 2010

Muslims in Haiti

Share




It's been a stressful week. I've basically been shanghaied by Arabian Gitmo. Thus, when I came across this video about Haiti's Muslim community, my first though was:  why did I come all the way to Cairo ?!  I find Haiti and it's history to be as fascinating and enthralling as I do the Middle East. Both pull you in and captivate your senses like a woman undressing slowly. Recently, books have been written about African Muslim brought to the "New World" as slaves. Here you can find passages from one detailing Muslim maroons in Haiti.  

Here is a link to on Haiti's Jewish population as well. According to this article, There are approximately 25 to 30 Jews left in Haiti at present, most of who live in Port-au-Prince.

Halas, tomorrow will be a better day, insha'Allah.

5 comments:

Dr. L said...

Interesting. Have you read The Kite Runner?

Dr. L said...

p.s. I read Black Girl in Paris years ago and I loved it.

Frenchie said...

I haven't read the Kite Runner yet. is it good? should I add it to my list?

Ibou said...

This was interesting.

Frenchie said...

It is! I'd be interested in knowing if they were converted to Islam by the Pakistani UN troops or if they were practicing Muslims before then...

Related Posts with Thumbnails