Wednesday, February 3, 2010

oh Arabic...

Share

I'm not going to lie, earlier today I was feelin' myself (quite proud) after Modern Standard Arabic classes. In 4 days I memorized all the Arabic characters and their various positions and I was starting to be able to read words that used to look like squiggles to me just last week... I couldn't comprehend what these words meant but at least I could read them! I could even hold the most basic conversation (Asaalamu ailaikum)! Ah, all it took was one afternoon of Egyptian Colloquial Arabic later on to bring me back to reality. Today we learned how to tell time :/ Telling time in Arabic is like a math problem where you add and subtract increments of 5....sigh, back to the drawing board lol

4 comments:

Claudine said...

I'm embarrassed! I have been in South Korean for almost 7 months, and I still can't read Hangul. I brought my workbooks with me and didn't even crack them open.

Frenchie said...

I would probably be guilty of the same if I did not specifically set out to take intensive Arabic courses while I was here. Few of the regular people here speak English, unlike in Seoul.

nirva said...

hey, leave Seoul alone. It depends where in Seoul you are located there are "regular people" as you call them who speak English quite well. I should know I moved twice while i was there. I still havent gotten the code to enter Egypt. when are you planning on giving it to me?

Frenchie said...

lol, I meant that unlike Seoul, you can not find many people in Cairo that speak or understand English. you do have the internet...you could just google the country code cuzo smh lol dial 011 + 20.

we can also video chat on Gmail if you have a webcam. Its free

Related Posts with Thumbnails