Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zenfully Yours,

Share










According to a Japanese legend, two devout young monks were walking down the road when they saw a beautiful and finely dressed young woman standing before a large mud puddle. She explained that she had no way of crossing the water without ruining her garments. The first monk instinctively shied  away from female contact, but the second monk immediately picked her up in his arms without a word and carried her safely across the obstacle.


A few hours later the first monk said, in an accusatory tone that betrayed his own fear of the woman and the incident, "How could you have picked up that lady? Don't you know that the rules of our faith strictly forbid us to touch a member of the opposite sex without suffering serious consequences? Aren't you eaten alive with worry over what may happen as a result of this?!" His friend smiled and then replied, "I put that woman down back at the puddle. Are you still carrying her?"

Like the first monk, many of us carry deep fears and worries over unforeseen circumstances and events beyond our control. In truth, some of these fears we picked up many mud puddles ago. As long as we remain mired in anxiety over such situations, we cannot fully hear the inner voice which speaks to us in the present and gives us the strength and guidance to navigate the inevitable trials of life. Thus, in order to tap into the truth of our intuition, we need to release such stress as much as possible...

By following the example of the second monk, we can put the past down and walk on. See your past experiences as teachings that have guided you to this present moment, rather than ties that bind you to inaction.  An endless array of opportunities and possibilities to contribute to any situation lie before you. Immerse yourself in this good, and the hurts will have no place left to make their home.


I've been having a stressful few weeks trying to balance a myriad of issues here and back in the States. A friend of mine sent me this fable as a show of support. I liked it so much that I had to share it with you guys. I hope you can reflect on it when you are contemplating difficult situations!

1 comment:

The Backpacker said...

Hey!

I just started my new blog. I got back from South America just a short while ago, where I spent two months travelling. I kept a very detailed, private journal the whole time I was there so I am going to publish my adventure, the places I went to, the people I met. If you could link your blog to mine that would be great!

P.S. My old blog was the 'Travelling International' but I have decided to launch another blog with a catchier name.

B.

Related Posts with Thumbnails